Can you feel it? The abundant fresh produce will be here SO soon! For now, if you have visited any of the local farmers markets, you have likely seen a lot of greens and radishes and seed starts. May is the in between month where the markets don't have too much, but you can get excited by the fact that more is coming!!
This month's recipe is a Cauliflower and Roasted Chickpea Salad with Radishes, Avocado and Apples!
Some seasonal highlights of this recipe are:
Cauliflower is a Brassica crop, which is known to help prevent chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, neurodegenerative disorders, and diabetes. It is high in vitamin C and vitamin K.
Radishes are great for your liver. They are also high in vitamin C which is a precursor to collagen formation. Which is good for your tissues and skin! Radishes have a notable amount of folate, which can be hard to get for individuals who don't eat a lot of grains. Folate is very important in pregnancy and fetal development.
Avocados are one of my favorites! Yes, they are high in fat, but they contain monounsaturated fats, which are healthy healthy healthy!! They are also high in fiber. Between the fiber and the amount of fat they have, avocados can be a great food to eat to help you feel full and satiated!
Chives also have many healthy characteristics. One to note is that they are good for digestion and can help get rid of bad bacteria, fungus and yeast in your GI tract to help it function as it should.
So yea... this salad is packed with a punch and has many health benefits!
Here's the recipe:
- 1 (15oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 TBSP lime juice + zest of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- chili powder, to taste
- 2 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 1 head of cauliflower, core removed (or cauliflower rice)
- 8 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 4 mint leaves, chopped
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup chives
- 1 1/2 crisp apple, diced
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Mix chickpeas with 1 TBSP olive oil, chili powder, salt and pepper and place on baking sheet. Roast until slightly crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk together lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, mustard and 3 TBSP water. Set dressing aside.
- In a food processor, place cauliflower and chop until it is in small granules- like rice. You may have to do this in batches. Place in a large bowl.
- Place radishes, parsley, mint, chives, green onions, apples and sunflower seeds in the bowl with the cauliflower. Add the chickpeas. Mix to combine and add 1/2 of the dressing from step 2.
- Serve the salad topped with avocado and add dressing as needed.
*We served ours on a bed of spinach and added salmon and quinoa to make a complete dish!