Are you doing Bloomsday this year?! Good for you! I love Bloomsday because running or walking- 7.5 miles is a long distance, yet over 60,000+ people rise to the challenge and complete it. I also love it cause it means summer is coming :)
This Bloomsday, make sure you are fueled right! No matter what pace you are going at, having the right fuel will help you feel better during the race. Here are my suggestions:
Saturday Night: make sure your dinner includes some sort of carbohydrate, and limit fiber if you tend to get GI distress while exercising. Some good carbohydrate choices to choose are:
- Sweet potatoes (avoid the skin)
- Brown rice
- Whole wheat bread
- Pasta, orzo
- Other grains: quinoa, millet, bulgur, etc.
Some easy meal ideas:
- Stir fry: brown rice, chicken, vegetables (don't overdue the vegetables)
- Sweet potatoes, eggs or ground turkey, guacamole, tomatoes, bell peppers
- Turkey sandwich with fruits and vegetables on side
Sunday Morning: Carbohydrates should be a main focus, but do include a protein too. Limit fiber and avoid dairy. Good and easy ideas include:
- Oatmeal + fruit + eggs, nut butter, or nuts (to add protein)
- Whole wheat English muffin or toast with peanut butter, banana, and cinnamon
- Sweet potato with eggs
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
During race: Make sure you are drinking water!!
After: refuel with a carbohydrate and protein soon after finish. I like chocolate milk :) Then, get a balanced meal as soon as possible. Drink water too!
Good luck this Bloomsday! Hopefully I will see you out there!!